Monday, February 25, 2008

Midas touched some...

It's really sad when beautiful films that halt and haunt you go unnoticed on Oscar night, evaporating in the ether, buried deep in the Netflix catalogue for no one to put in queue. AMPAS, did your screeners get lost in the mail? Last night I watched 80 years worth of Oscars. Had I known, I wouldn't have stayed up for four hours all those previous years. I thought the writers went back to work? If I had to see another historical clip, my neighbors would've called the police. And, was Jon Stewart on valium?...zzzzz. All that money, the dresses, the jewelry, the hairdo's, the facials, the shoes, the red carpet, the weatherproof tents. Hollywood can add another hundred mill to the $2.5 Billion loss from the WGA strike.

Is it just me or were real films ignored - like 4 mos, 3 wks, 2 nights or Into the Wild, naming two out of the hundreds out there? I like the Coen Bros, I really do. They thanked everyone for letting them play in a corner of the sandbox...I wish someone would let me IN the sandbox, let alone play for one minute. Someday, someone will listen. And maybe, just maybe, some day, they will let me in...I'll even bring my own sand.

I was disappointed about Tilda Swinton. She's a fine actess indeed, but Ruby had finer moments as did Laura. No Country is a good movie, but not better than many other films that weren't even nominated. It's easy to criticize, I know. But, hey...no one listens to me anyway, so I can say what I want.

Speaking of films that might get lost in the ether...my friend's film UP THE YANGTZE will be in theaters in April...go see it. It's stunningly shot, a doc feature.

No comments: